Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Snow Day

I went out this morning to my writers group. I knew it was snowing and I hate driving in the snow because I never go over 40 and that annoys type A drivers looking for a challenge. I keep both hands on the wheel, refusing to lose my temper when trucks splash slush against my windshield.
I decided to stay home all afternoon and watch Scaramouch on TCM, a life saving movie channel I depend on in bad weather. There is brilliant technicolor enhancing Eleanor Parker's lipstick so much I want to kiss the screen
At the end of the film there is a very long, elaborate sword fight between Stewart Granger and Mel Ferrar, two guys with sensual lips that rivaled Parker and Janet Leigh, who must have been about 19 at the time. The battle was choreographed intricately and I'm pretty sure they were using real swords. How come we don't see that anymore? Who would win a sword fight between Ryan Gosling and Bradley Cooper? Jennifer Lawrence and Emma Stone? Linda Hunt and Danny DeVito?
These are the kinds of things that pass through my mind as I lie on the bed and let the afternoon slide by. But now that the snow has stopped I must reengage with the world, which, in my case, means heading out for coffee.
A good sword fight has just been added to my bucket list.

No comments:

Post a Comment