Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Mortality

My niece just had her first child. I remember her sitting on our couch playing with my keys. I had to keep her from sticking them in her mouth. Now she has a husband, a house and a baby.
My nephew is thinking of buying a house with his girlfriend. He and his sister have high end jobs with lots of responsibility. I recall him being too shy to come out from under the bed.
At my niece's wedding four years ago they took a photo of the couple standing behind this old guy wearing glasses. I thought it was her husband's father. It was me.
If I follow the speed limit I can tell those behind me see a geezer hesitant to hit the gas. Yes, I have become quietly invisible as I approach my eighth decade. Know what? It's not all that bad. The b aby's name is Teddy Francis. I wonder if he'll remember me when I'm gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment