Tuesday, October 9, 2012

The Bed

If I move my shoulder up off the bed, that could be a start. I want to lift my head, but these pillows feel so good. This is silly. I have a full day ahead of me. I need to get off this bed right now.
Here is the problem as I see it. I bought an air mattress and let me tell you someone should warn us that those things are just too damn comfortable. There isn't a single body part that isn't telling to stay right where I am, do not move, life doesn't get any better.
I lift my arm and it flops back down. I take a deep breath, marshaling my resources, determined to sit up, pivot and slide off onto the floor. I get to the sit up position, remain there a moment, and collapse back onto my haven. I don't even have the ambition to reach over and grab the channel selector. I'm sick of Grey's Anatomy and all their problems, but without the clicker I can't change channels. Where did all my energy go? I think this mattress is sucking it out of me.
Now I turn on my side and it feels just as good. I bend my knees and collapse into a fetal position, eyes shut, breathing soft and steady.
I'm going to lose friends and opportunities. I don't want to answer the phone. I swear, as soon as I finish this nap, I am getting out of this bed and letting my feet hit the floor.
I feel another yawn coming on.

No comments:

Post a Comment