Monday, October 29, 2012

Writing Day

Pinned inside because of the storm, none of you should let this day go by without making considerable progress on your writing project. No nonsense about entertaining your kids. Lock them in a room with good ventilation and enough food and water to keep them alert. They have enough imagination and electronic devices to keep themselves busy.
You, yes you, have an obligation to your art. Shut off all TV and radio reports suggesting we are all going to drown. Fill a bowl of unused Halloween candy, sit your butt down at the computer and write. Finish that poem, start that play, find the focus of your novel, create a new character.
I am looking out the window. It is damp, it is breezy, it is a bit chilly. I do not think this beast will devour me, but my conscience will pester me unmercifully if I don't start a short story.
Right now it is 11:12 AM and I have not a single idea. A good three hour movie is coming on at 11:30, so I need to get cracking. Because, well, I really want to see this movie and I can't write and watch at the same time. But I'm betting as soon as I conclude this blog, an idea will come to me.
Okay, it is 11:13AM.
You should be halfway through with that poem. We are writers, persistent, fearless, determined.
Of course, if the power goes out...

No comments:

Post a Comment