Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Coaches

I never played high school or college sports. I have witnessed coaches behavior as a fan attending those games. I don't condone what Rutgers hoops coach Mike Rice was doing to his players. I understand why they didn't retaliate, except by transferring out. On the high school level, depending on how popular the sport is, coaches can get away with things that would get a classroom teacher fired or suspended. Being fiery is necessary for achievement, keeping your job and maintaining parental support. What I see and hear in the stands too often are parents who have lost all perspective and see winning as the only goal. Their levels of disgust with coaches can explode into a movement to fire these people. In most cases they still have teaching jobs to fall back on.
College coaches do not have that safety net. They are also paid enormous sums because sports brings in lots more revenue than other college activities like theater and dance. Add in the media gushing over successful coaches and all the face time and endorsements they receive, and it's easy to see how they can view themselves as untouchable.
As a substitute, one day I was assigned to replace a HS gym teacher. I did nothing but blow the whistle when it was time for the kids to shower. But I did witness a confrontation between a student and male gym teacher that came close to physical contact. I reported nothing, but couldn't wait to get away from that school and that confrontational atmosphere. Ugly is an understatement.

No comments:

Post a Comment