Friday, May 24, 2013

Ten Dollars

I found a folded $10 bill on the floor of a supermarket today. Instinctively I scooped it up and looked around. No one was in the vicinity.
Well.
I walked over to the food station where they serve breakfast, lunch and dinner. I had mixed feelings, having lost bills myself. Here it is, the beginning of Memorial Day holiday, and someone will be in a rotten mood when they discover their loss. I know I would.
I sat down and thought about it. I could give it to charity. There was no Salvation Army guy around. I could put it in the Dunkin Donuts tip jar. But I don't use their outlet very often here. This particular DD only does coffee, tea and donuts. No hash browns or meals. Not much effort involved.
So I bought myself breakfast at the food counter--one scrambled egg, toast and home fries. The coffee I was going to buy anyway, so that doesn't count. Now I'm worried about karma. Maybe the egg was bad and I'll have stomach problems the whole weekend.
I'm pretty sure if the phone rings it'll be bad news.
Now I sit here looking out at the cold rain, cancelling my plans. I just know I'm going to pay for this.

No comments:

Post a Comment