Friday, July 29, 2016

High School Reunion

We recently had our 50th reunion and I didn't go. I never go. I hated high school. I just didn't belong anywhere with anyone.
I know what will happen if I go. No one will remember me. I'll sit in a corner watching people hug each other. Someone may remark on my hair loss.  They will be music and dancing and some divorced woman will single me out as a potential partner. I will go home so depressed I'll listen to a Bernie Sanders speech to cheer me up.
All that happens at reunions is people comparing notes in competition. Whose marriage lasted, who got the best career, whose kids are going to what college, etc. For four years I skulked through the halls looking for evidence I wasn't a lost cause. Over the decades, I've found some. Interestingly, some of the very people who snubbed me contacted me over and over through the years, trying to convince me to return for more punishment. Check, please.

No comments:

Post a Comment