Monday, January 28, 2013

Dancing on Lava

My new collection of stories is Dancing on Lava--Switchblade Stories 3, published through Create Space on Amazon. The print is larger and the space between lines is wider, making it easier to read. A talented graphic artist, Ryann Rykowski, formatted it and put together the cover. It is a print and e-book.
There are 40 somewhat offbeat stories with no central theme, although there is satire and social commentary through exaggeration and dialogue. I am currently working on my fourteenth collection and hope to publish at least two a year.
I've soured on scheduling appearances and doing open mikes, neither of which has resulted in many sales. I've decided my priority is to publish as much as I can, donate some and sell the rest informally at various meetings of groups I belong to.
There were 285000 self published books last year alone in this country. Add to that all the thousands put out by independents and university presses. Then tack on the thousands published by the big six firms. The chances of breaking out of the pack are miniscule. So I changed course and will focus on just getting the books out there.
It seems there is so much time and energy spent on marketing and networking, it is easy to forget the importance of the actual writing and completing projects. From here on, I am all about completing those books and publishing whatever I feel is quality material. In a sense, I'm abandoning what isn't working or pleasant and substituting what is important to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment