Friday, January 25, 2013

Senior Movie

I signed up for twice monthly senior movie days at a local cineplex. I never knew this existed. Hey, I'm a taxpayer, why not?
It had been literally years since I'd been in an actual movie theater. I usually go to libraries for freebies. This place was clean and the seats were comfortable. I took one towards the top, getting there a half hour early; only a handful of people preceded me. I finished up a Kindle book while waiting. Of course the previews took a good fifteen minutes.
As the minutes passed I watched seniors enter. Some were able to move quite well, but others, well others barely could get up the steps. Excruciatingly slow, one step at a time, holding on for dear life, stumbling into a seat, breathing hard, flushed. Wearing heavy coats didn't help.
Suppose one grasped the chest and collapsed. Could I spring into action and start pounding away on a ribcage? What if there were a fire? How long would it take them to evacuate? Hours?
The movie was Broken City; not bad, Russell Crowe, Mark Walberg, Catherine Zeta-Jones. Corruption all over the place. This was one day after I saw Arbitrage at a library. More crooked people looking to screw over anyone in their way. Richard Gere's hair never looked better.
One guy at the theater came in very late and I'm betting he was at another screening of a different movie and sneaked into this one without paying. Now he would have to sit there, knowing the ending of our movie, and watch the whole first half for the film to make any sense.
Two more weeks until the next senior movie. Maybe I should enter just as the lights are going down and flaunt how well I climb steps. Nah. Too mean.

No comments:

Post a Comment