Saturday, January 12, 2013

Now What?

Okay dad, we're in the boat, we're on the lake, our lines are in the water with bait attached. What now?
Son, we sit here and wait for a nibble.
That's it? That's fishing?
It gives us a chance to bond.
Can I check my messages first?
Later, son. Tell me, what have you been up to?
Uh, let's see. I go to school five days a week, sit there and learn stuff. Then I come home, go on the computer to check Facebook. Then I text friends on FB, take a nap, have supper, do some homework. Then I go out and hang with the same kids I text and message. Then I come home, brush my teeth, floss and go to bed. How about you?
Okay son, I go to work checking gas meters. I have lunch at twelve, drive all over the city. At five I punch out, come home, change out of my uniform, have supper. Then I read the paper, watch some TV and have a glass of wine. On Tuesday and Friday your mom and I have sex. That's about it. Isn't bonding great?
Dad, what do fish do all day?
I don't know, son, but it can't be as great as what we do.
I think my pole moved.
Yank on it, son. Life is all about yanking at the right time.
What happens if I catch something?
You look at it and toss it back in and we start over again.
Seems silly.
No son, adjustable rate mortgages are silly. Want some salt water taffy?
But if my teeth get stuck we won't be able to bond.
Good point, son. I sure didn't raise a dummy.
Is sex as good as fishing, dad?

No comments:

Post a Comment