Saturday, January 21, 2012

Clout

According to a letter I received today, my FIA Card Services World MasterCard with World Points rewards is being replaced by a Bank Americard Power Rewards World Master Card. I'm trying to imagine someone with an MBA sitting alone in a room coming up with these designations.
I won't lose any of my old points. Wonderful. Every time I call up and ask how I can redeem said points I'm told I don't have enough to do anything. Sometimes a recorded voice tells me. Evidently you need thousands of points to get that miniature flashlight, batteries not included. I read the titles on my credit cards and feel intimidated. I won't repeat them because of security concerns, but I'll bet my combined total points on all these cards can get me a flight to Botswana. It's all about clout, who has it, who doesn't.
I'll earn one power point for every dollar I spend. Do power points mean I can take control of any situation, like too many standees on a bus? Will I get a badge I can flash--600 power points and counting? Can I make citizen's arrests and interrogate suspicious loiterers? Why is one bank replacing another? Does the new bank expect me to spend more than I have in the past? There's an 800 number for questions--there always is. I'm not confident they'll answer my queries. I'm usually told to take deep breaths and hum softly by customer service reps.
Does anyone trust Bank of America under any circumstances?

No comments:

Post a Comment