Monday, January 2, 2012

Dryer

I fear for my dryer. I put my damp wash in and deposited two quarters, which gave me 25 minutes of high temp action. But a loud noise ensued, as though something was broken in the cylinder. I pulled open the door and pulled out dungarees, thinking maybe I overloaded it. But the same noise continued. So I replaced the jeans and retreated to my condo. Knowing my beloved dryer might be on its last legs, it was difficult focusing on a Rosalind Russell film. Also, she talks really fast in all her movies.
When I returned to the laundry room, the machine had stopped. I reached in and felt my clothes. Slightly damp. I would need another ten minutes. Luckily I had one final quarter and slipped it in. But this was disturbing. Never before had two quarters failed to get the job done. My dryer had suddenly aged like John Wayne after he got the cancer. You must understand, I love this dryer. It is five times more efficient than the expensive new ones that cost $1.25 a load and never get your clothes completely dry. You can just toss stuff in there, except bathroom mats, and sense power as it tumbles fabric to its will. This is the Patton of dryers, booking no nonsense.
Yes, I removed my now dry load and packed them into my duffel bag. Sensing this might be the final time I interact with this noble creature, I stared long and hard, tossed it a kiss, and left without looking back.

No comments:

Post a Comment