Friday, January 20, 2012

First Snow

That Halloween mess doesn't count, it just doesn't. We are hours from this winter's first snowfall. I went to CVS and stocked up on potato chips and peanut butter crackers, plus I got a pair of wide calf socks. I don't really have wide calves, but, hell, I can fantacize.
They're saying 3-5 inches. Or more. Or less. Depends on who you listen to. I can't trust Al Roker. Too much multitasking. How can he focus on the weather if he's giving away thousands of dollars worth of goods to charities across the country? When I was a mailman I dreaded these days. Those trucks were probably tested in Arizona--damn things slide all over the place. But that's not my problem anymore. My problem is getting my car into the garage. It's only a matter of feet, but I'm on a slope and things could get tricky. I could do the sensible thing and drive it in tonight. But suppose we only get a dusting. I would look like a wuss to my neighbors.
Mornings after snow fall I can hear homeowners behind me shoveling out. I haven't had to do that since I moved here eight years ago. That's why we have a super. But just in case he gets sick, I have been working my ab muscles hard. Shoveling is all about the stomach, especially the obliques. Not currently visible to the naked eye, my obliques are right there under the surface ready for action.
So I will lie awake tonight waiting for the assault. Planning my day indoors. I may actually begin that new play. Or dust my corners. Winter finally descends.

No comments:

Post a Comment