Friday, January 6, 2012

Modells Maze

I have come to hate Modells. They keep sending me coupons that advertise 20% off or $10 off any purchase over $50. But when you bring your item up to the cashier you are told the coupon doesn't apply to stuff already on sale. The problem is almost everything in the store is on sale.
You spend an hour stalking around trying to find ANYTHING you can buy that qualifies. Invariably, the only products left are those you don't want or can't use. Hand Squeezers, socks, underwear, insulated socks, bowling equipment, cut off socks, fishing equipment, black socks, lacrosse equipment, ribbed socks, hats--I have 45 hats--Lycra shorts--I already have two pairs--a bicycle pump, on and on. Superfluous stuff.
This last time I bought $39.99 sneakers in sale for $24.99, a nice savings. But my 20% coupon, which could have saved me another $5 was disqualified because it was a sale item. I bought the sneakers anyway, so angry I forgot to ask for the 10% senior discount, something Modells doesn't advertise. These were my back up sneakers. I was left with one alternative. Buy the regularly priced $39.99 sneakers for which my coupon was applicable, meaning an $8 savings. But now I had TWO pairs of back up sneakers. Where do I put this other one? I have limited closet space and a lousy memory. I'm sure I'll forget about those sneakers.
I was so furious I went right to Pathmark, ordered hot tea, demanding two tea bags and lemon. Then I marched to the hot soup section and brazenly took three packs of Saltines without buying any soup. Then I read The News and Post without paying. Sometimes you do what you have to to balance the ledger.

No comments:

Post a Comment