Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Kate Moss

Kate Moss moved upstairs from me. This was unexpected. I happened to see her pulling into my parking space. I decided to avoid a confrontation and parked a block away.
She's not a very big woman, but has a heavy footstep. I can hear her pacing back and forth all day. Nights, she is always out. Sometimes she looks really extraordinary and sometimes she looks like a slob. She never empties her mailbox. I have to do it for her. The hall smells of cigarette smoke.
She's polite, using that gap tooth smile to charm. Her kid is brought over almost every day, but I think she lives elsewhere. She doesn't ever bring men home. I was thinking of asking her out. There's an age difference and she has way more money than me. But I have a college degree and write short stories. She doesn't.
One time she asked if I had any crackers. I gave her a whole box of Saltines. In retrospect I should have only given her some. I'm not going to see those crackers again.
I wonder what she's doing in New Jersey. She saw me in my undershirt today and kind of gave me the eye. Good thing I sucked in my stomach. I noticed she does get food caught in that tooth gap. Peppers and cole slaw, licorice especially.

No comments:

Post a Comment