Thursday, February 13, 2014

Cheap and Flimsy

This is an excerpt from one of my flash fiction pieces in newly published Cadaver Dreams, available on Amazon.

I went to the pet shop and asked for something cheap and flimsy. I get bored easily and avoid long term relationships, even with pets. I once bought a Labrador and initially we got along fine. But after several months my attention began to waver under all those annoying dog owner responsibilities like petting and stomach rubbing. I could imagine this healthy beast living another dozen years, trapping me in a toxic relationship. So I gave it to an upscale professional couple who would love it forever.
The pet shop owner understood my needs without being judgmental, first showing me a goldfish. I shook my head. I wanted cheap and flimsy, but something I could interact with.
We moved to a rather scraggly looking parrot that tilted to one side and could say only three words--credit default dispersion. It eyed me suspiciously and I could imagine it somehow leaving its perch at three A.M. and clawing me to death in my sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment