Friday, December 21, 2012

Holly Jolly

I went to a library to hear Christmas Carols yesterday afternoon. They had lots of cookies, pastry and hot chocolate. Four adults dressed in red and white outfits bounced around, getting pumped up. One tuned his violin, another failed to tune her flute, which cost her later.
There were only a few of us in the audience, which was just fine. They were scheduled to begin at 2:30, supposedly standing outside. A couple complained it was too cold to the young woman who organized it. In short time it was switched indoors to a point near the Christmas tree. To me, this made sense. I settled in on a comfortable couch, drank my hot chocolate and appreciated retirement.
They were pretty decent; the singing was fine, choice of songs familiar, as you might expect. I enjoyed the violinist, but was dubious about the showy necklaces he wore. The other guy looked like Christopher Plummer and had Bill Medley's baratone.
The flute player realized her instrument wasn't tuned after several abortive tries to play something, but eventually that got resolved.
Then it happened. The grade school across the street let out at 3 and kids swarmed in and around us. Kids do not hesitate. If they want a space they take it. If they want most of your couch they take it. And if they want hot chocolate and cookies, boy do they take that. Thankfully, I'd already had two cups and four cookies before they attacked us.
I left at intermission. Too much holiday spirit upsets my stomach. I think I've outgrown kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment