Sunday, December 16, 2012

Let's Not Talk About It

My social circle is incredibly polite. When we meet for our discussions, manners are our priority. This past Saturday I had just put out the coffee and snacks and we were juiced to begin our session. Suddenly one of the members, Jim, keeled over, face down on my new red tablecloth. We were stunned.
Being the host I felt I should say something. I asked Carl to see if he was breathing. Carl declined, citing fears he would be sued if he moved the head and snapped something. Joyce remarked how she never realized Jim had pattern baldness. Lucy became anxious because Jim was her lift. Keith got up, walked over and removed Jim's keys from his jacket. He gave them to Lucy and pronounced the problem solved.
Bob was upset because Jim's collapse took attention from his topic--Why We Need More Amusement Parks. Bill arrived late, looked at Jim, shrugged and revealed he had never liked the guy. Too many plaid shirts. Carl poured himself a cup and proposed we begin and if Jim woke up we'd inform him where the discussion was.
Well, eventually he regained consciousness, but by then everyone was gone.
He staggered outside and barked, where's my car? I doubted Lucy would return for him. How rude to lose consciousness at such a moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment