Monday, December 31, 2012

Moral Dilemma

I'm at the urinal in a supermarket and the guy in the stall, who sounds about 85, is having trouble UN-spooling the toilet paper. Don't anything work anymore, he grumbles. Question: should I knock and offer to help him? Sooner than I'd like to think, I might be in the same situation.
Thankfully, he got it going and finished his personal hygiene. I hate these decisions.
The other day outside the same store I found a perfectly good cylinder of the Original Pringles potato chips. I picked it up, stood there looking around for someone to step forward and claim it. Normally I would just take it, but this was Pringles. I'm sure the person who lost  it was stunned and heartbroken, maybe suicidal. But if I bring it to the courtesy counter odds are someone will just stick it under their coat. I mean, it's freakin' Pringles, not Wise or store brand and NOT pretzels. That would have been easy. No one cares about pretzels except guys in bars.
The cylinder is on top of my fridge and as days go by, the chances of my returning it decrease. Let me carry the guilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment