Saturday, August 15, 2015

Evolution

I stopped believing in evolution the day I began teaching eighth grade in a Jersey City Catholic school. Thirty eight growling, hissing demons just waiting for me to turn my back. Of course when the nun Principal walked in they became angels.
I thought the girls might protect me. Obviously I knew nothing about 14 year old girls. Their incisors hung out of their mouths.
The boys were brain damaged, everyone was fiercely hormonal and some smelled bad. Actually I became one big sweat stain, so exhausted trying to keep order, sometimes I just sat there catching my breath, frantically attempting to come up with aplan to escape this asylum.
I knew at some point they would lock the door and truss me up, offering me as a sacrifice to the Satan of lower Jersey City. I swore their pupils turned opaque in certain lighting. Those kids would freak out Children of the Corn.
I survived, but still wake up in a cold sweat.

No comments:

Post a Comment