Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Finishing a Story

I finished the first draft to my new story tonight. Of course there will be tweaking and tightening, adding and subtracting. I wrote it in long hand in my notebook, as opposed to using the computer. It just seemed to flow better. Took me three days, which is two days longer than usual. In between writing, I was thinking about each scene, which characters would make their appearance, how they would interact with my protagonist.
I know I'm going to play with the dialogue, which most readers enjoy best. This story is actually another episode following the initial introduction of this character in the last story of my new book, Plowed In--More Switchblade Stories. Just because I'm marketing this doesn't mean I take a hiatus from writing.
Tonight I was at a Meet Up Group, Shut Up & Write with a dozen others. I met a young woman and we exchanged business cards. I tried to impart helpful info, showed her my books and explained some of the ins and outs of self publishing.
Tomorrow I continue planning events and strategy for marketing. I think I'm becoming a better reader, but I have to look at the audience more. Looking forward to a book launch next month. Publishing a book is like no other experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment