Friday, August 17, 2012

One Battery

Months ago my condo was inspected. I was not there and gave my super the key. When I came home the key was on the table without a message. I assumed I passed and forgot about it.
Yesterday I got a letter from the management stating one of my smoke detectors in the hall was not working and would have to be fixed or replaced. The letter was three pages long. There was also a notice for a certified letter that had to be picked up. I hate certified letters, which are usually from lawyers and mean you're in trouble. Since I don't actually have a hall, I called management and they confirmed it was in my nonexistent hall, which I realized was actually on the ceiling in my living room. They also confirmed they sent the certified letter, which was exactly the same as the regular notice.
Let's add up. Six pages typed, two letters totaling $5 in postage, a trip to the PO to pick up the certified letter, which they could NOT find, a trip to Rite Aid for a 9 volt battery (buy one, get one half price), finding my step ladder so I could replace the old battery.
Now I have to wait for the inspector to notify me when he is returning. I'd like to know how he reached that detector on the ceiling. What if he used my step ladder, fell and hurt himself? Could I be sued?

No comments:

Post a Comment