Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Seduced and Abandoned

I fell deeply in love with VHS. Collected hundreds of videos for when I retired. I wouldn't have to leave the house, just sit back in my recliner, unshaven and unwashed, watching film after film.
I stored them in closets, on shelves, in the hamper. I stared at their striking covers and bold titles, cataloged them by director and actor. As long as I had my VHS collection I didn't have to interact with others.
You know what happened next. Three ugly letters--DVD. Followed closely by DVD players.
My lonely VCR remains under my cable box, unused. I am retired six years and have not watched a single video. All those unseen Steve Guttenberg performances.
My tapes haven't actually abandoned me. They exist peripherally in my life. Sometimes I will take some out and caress their box. I almost wish they were gone for good.
I feel so used.

No comments:

Post a Comment