Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Promoting the Book

My new collection of short stories, Plowed In-More Switchblade Stories, has just been released on Amazon & B&N, and now its time for me to make appearances and promote. It can be interesting, meeting and discussing one's writing with friends and strangers. It can also get sticky.
One has to be careful not to be too aggressive. You can lose friends pretty quick. I simply hold up the book, mention the title and the price($10) direct from me, a bit more online, and let them peruse. I don't want anyone to feel obligated, nor do I want my feelings to be hurt if those I expected to buy, don't.
People have their reasons. Money is certainly one of them. Others have said they don't buy books anymore. Maybe jealousy creeps into it. Writers struggling with their project don't want to be reminded of that by seeing others hawking a finished book.
You can't sell it in little bookstores because they want a percentage and that means a loss on each sale for me. Big stores don't stock it. Open mikes are attended by others looking to perform, not buy. Libraries host authors and attendance is spotty. Buying a table at an outdoor fair is costly.
Yes, it tough sledding marketing one's book, but that is part of the commitment. I feel these 25 stories are varied enough to keep one's interest. The humor is edgy, but there are serious undertones. I hope my readers will give it a try and if you like it, spread the word.

No comments:

Post a Comment