Friday, August 24, 2012

Law Books

I saw a pile of law books in the dumpster. One had the word 'torts' in the title. I felt sadness. Obviously this was someone who had hopes of being an attorney, fighting for the underclass, righting wrongs, settling injustices. For whatever reason, poor grades, no tuition money, no openings, this person had abandoned his dream of being a barrister.
As I turned away I heard a cough from behind the dumpster. I decided to investigate and shockingly discovered a young man in a wrinkled suit and scuffed shoes sitting against the dumpster, head in hands. I made the assumption those were his books.
"Is there anything I can do for you?" I asked.
"Sue someone. Fall down, get hurt and sue. Swallow a hair in your salad at a fast food place. Slander your boss or former wife. Walk away from your mortgage. Break some stinking law. I need WORK!"
He broke into sobs.
"I'm thinking of making out a will," I offered.
He leaped off the ground,grabbed me by the shirt.
"God bless you. That's $165 covering everything including postage. I take check, money order and cash. I prefer cash. Do you have an office I can use? Temporarily."
I said no, but perhaps in the future when I've made a final decision...
He exploded. "TEASE! Another close but no cigar. No one wants lawyers anymore. The Internet killed us. Free advice, free information, free forms. I still owe $80000 for my schooling. Lawyers used to get laid. Now we beg for scraps."
He slumped back into a sitting position. I tip toed away, listening to his grumbling. Those law books looked in good shape. At least if I fell I knew who to contact. If he still had a cell.

No comments:

Post a Comment