Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Closing

It's happening and I hate it. Another B&N closing. It is painful watching a book store close in segments. First they drop prices and plaster the windows with ugly signs. Then, one by one, sections are roped off. Books are consolidated. Empty spaces invade once happily stuffed shelves. Employees skulk around trying to force a smile.
The area in the front lobby, which contained two tables holding last chance books, is now empty. Sloppiness abounds. No one can gather up the energy to replace books left open or magazines scattered around tables.
The floor hasn't been swept. Imagine the bathrooms.
Suddenly whole battalions of customers appear to ravage bargains. Where were these people when the store's future was in the balance?
To be fair, I was part of the problem. I grabbed a book or periodical, headed to the cafe, ordered my drink and maybe a cookie, then spent two hours of free reading without purchasing the material. I hang my head in shame. I did get a Nook, which mitigates part of my guilt, but not enough. I am going to miss this place, as well as the record store next to it, also closing. What good is being retired if you can't go and hang out someplace?
The Starbucks nearby is okay in a pinch, but there are too many old guys sitting outside in warm weather speaking in some Eastern European language I can't understand. I just hope the empty space isn't filled by another Bed, Bath & Beyond. Yeah, beyond boring.

No comments:

Post a Comment