Friday, December 2, 2011

Pulled Over

Driving past someone who's been pulled over by a cop has to elicit more than a little feeling of curiosity, as well as relief. Glad it's not me. You catch a glimpse of the poor driver's expression and it varies. Anger, confusion, nervousness, impatience, panic, vulnerability. Some frantically search for the right ID. Others look straight ahead, not wanting to meet the eyes of others going about their business.
I once saw a young man foolishly jump out of his vehicle, take a few steps toward the police car before harshly being told to get back into the car. Once you're stopped, the cop will sit there forever, checking to see if it's a stolen vehicle. You know your day is probably ruined, even if he decides to limit things to a lecture.
I had a PBA card, which I never used. If I knew I was in the wrong I'd just take my punishment. But one time a polite young cop said I went through a light and I know it was amber. But I didn't argue because you never know what kind of mood these guys are in. They run plates just for the sake of having something to do and maybe they just might catch someone. My registration was expired last summer and I never got a renewal notice to remind me. So I got pulled over, they took my car and keys and I had to take a bus home.
No one wants to see those flashing lights in the rear view mirror. But when it happens to someone else you do tend to feel superior.

No comments:

Post a Comment