Saturday, December 17, 2011

That Damn Tree

I went to Rockefeller Center to see the skaters, not that damn tree. I have nothing against big decorated trees. It's the people coming from miles away that drive me nuts, families with tiny cameras pointed straight up as they lean back wearing a beautific smile like this is about as good as it gets.
Charlize Theron is as good as it gets. This is madness. I couldn't get anywhere near the viewing section to see the skaters. I was crushed against Kansas and North Dakota and South Carolina and foreigners from land locked countries. Many lugged Volvo sized shopping bags, pushed streamlined strollers, swung elbows, dipped shoulders and bulled ahead. Someday a Rockette will be crushed in the maelstrom and we as a society will have to answer for it.
Know this--that tree is never is big as it seems on TV, unless Justin Beiber is standing next to it. In fact, that rink is quite small compared to Wollman or even Bryant Park, which has better music and a calliope. Since it's free, one will see more of a variety of native New Yorkers, actual people of color. You won't see some little girl from a rich family getting a lesson in the center of the rink like at Rockefeller, doing awkward spins in her $300 skating dress.
I shouldn't be bitter. This is the holiday season and even though I can't skate I can work out on the elliptical without losing my balance. That's something to hang my hat on. Where the hell did I put my hat?

No comments:

Post a Comment