Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Tapped

Do you know how many times my car has been tapped by people getting into or out of a parking space? How about dozens. How many times have I confronted them? Zero. If there is no damage why start something that can escalate into a mess?
The other day I was backing up to pull out of a space when I tapped the car behind me. The driver had just gotten out and was standing next to it waiting to cross. I was waiting to pull out. He did not immediately rush over and say anything. About 40 seconds passed and just as I was about to leave, he walks over and says you know you tapped my car. It was his verb and it was accurate. Then he said that's a $150000 machine and I knew right then what I was dealing with. He was poorly shaven, holding half a cigarette, wearing a fatigue shirt. This was not a hedge fund manager. I shrugged and said sorry.
Then the Tom Berringer wannabe launched into a 30 second verbal assault, using longshoreman's language, half turning, gesturing. I let him wind down and watched the jerk cross the street, seething. Him, not me. There was a good chance if I had gotten out of the car there would have been escalation, maybe punches thrown. My lawyer ordered me to walk away from confrontations. With my luck, the crossing guard would have backed him and I'd have been charged with assault. No, that crap doesn't bother me anymore.
I expect little from people and am seldom disappointed. The guy probably had a miserable job, a rotten social life, a history of losses in every arena. He was just itching to spread his foul stench of misery and I would have none of it. I feel nothing for people like that. Let the humanists embrace compassion. I hit the gas and got out of there. I never did check what model car he drove. I'm guessing 150 thou was a bit of an exaggeration.

No comments:

Post a Comment