Thursday, December 8, 2011

Nap

I really want to take a nap right now. I love napping. It's the best thing about being retired. Even if I'm only half asleep, just lying there and daydreaming with TV and radio off, not caring about anything other than switching sides periodically, is at least as productive as meditation. Napping after hitting the gym is Nirvana because you don't feel guilty about sacking out. If you toss in checking emails, opening snail mail, sweeping, writing something brilliant and vigorously flossing before you nap, there is no chance you will feel bad about yourself.
One thing you quickly absorb in retirement is not to think about all those who are out there working. Blank them right out. You did it for thirty plus years and no one sobbed for you. The down side is, of course, you are much closer to death than them. But what is death but one eternal nap?
The dangerous thing about this activity is over napping and missing something important, which is what happened to me on Thanksgiving. But I've learned from that incident. I have to attend a wake later and I am determined to time this nap perfectly so I can be there. So I will wrap this up and get to work napping and stay on schedule. While zonked out I will also be digesting my lunch. Once again, without fanfare, I multitask.

No comments:

Post a Comment