Thursday, April 12, 2012

Caught

Pounding on my door at 3am. I jump up in bed, sweat already building. Staggering to the door, not sure what is happening, I peek through the blinds. Two tall men in black trench coats and fedoras. One flashes a badge.
"Dunkin' Donuts Security. Open up."
Oh God. They've caught up with me. I slowly opened the floor, feeling completely vulnerable. They moved as one, quickly into my living room. I turned on a lamp. Shadows everywhere.
"You, sir, have some explaining to do. You have obtaining 16 free donuts by filling out our online survey. Correct?"
"Yes sir."
"Except this last time you slipped up, fella. It specifically states you must purchase a medium or larger beverage to be eligible. We have computer evidence that you bought a SMALL coffee, thereby not fulfilling your obligation. You then did the survey anyway, received your code and subsequently went back and got a Bavarian Creme donut free. Are you disputing any of this?"
I swallowed. "I got confused." One of them slammed me against a wall. "Don't get cute, donut boy. We want our donut back."
"But I...consumed it."
"The whole thing? You pig."
"It was Bavarian Creme. I couldn't stop myself. Please, let me make it up to you. I have tangerines."
They laughed loudly, too loudly. "Do we look stupid? This is the deal. Give us all your olive oil or we take you in. I promise you will not enjoy what happen at our DD Detention Center. You have 3 seconds to decide, buster."
I cursed my carelessness. I knew this day would come. Could I part with my olive oil? Right then it seemed I had no choice. They glared down at me, professionals just doing a job. As they left with my olive oil and a stern warning, I knew I would be under surveillance at every DD, my photo placed above the counter. Was one Bavarian Creme worth this shame? Do not judge until you've eaten one.

No comments:

Post a Comment