Saturday, April 28, 2012

Coffee's On Me

That phrase is all it takes to get me there. Actually, with some friends, we have a great system--alternate paying. We trust each other, compare bills. We share conversation, sip and munch on desert and in those precious minutes, the world isn't so bad.
Coffee itself makes it impossible for me to create arguments. I find myself nodding in agreement to just about everything. Water and soda don't do that. Chocolate pudding is another mood enhancer. Strangely, rice pudding gets me in a feisty mood.
There is something empowering about paying the check. But I do not feel emasculated if the woman pays. I am evolved, so damn evolved.
Now, relationships where the guy does all the paying all the time are tricky. If it's just a friendship, that situation needs to be re-examined. No expectations, to me, means you split the bill if it's over $6. I think $6 just feels right. At some point one has to distance oneself from friends who never pay. Unless they're homeless and destitute. Then you get them refills and do lots of listening and sympathetic nodding. That's my concept of friendship.

No comments:

Post a Comment