Monday, April 30, 2012

Melancholia

I'm not going to bash Lars Van Trier. I loved his movie Dogville. He has his own sensibility. I understand he suffers from depression, which is nothing to joke about. His latest film, Melancholia, runs about 2 hours and 15 minutes. Kirsten Dunst wants to die in all 2 hours plus. This is not the Spiderman Dunst. This is a young woman who is supposed to be married that day and wanders around in her wedding dress in a fog. She is ill and her sister, that French actress whose name escapes me, is frightened the world will end after it is hit by another rogue planet, which was hiding behind the sun all this time. Lars isn't strong on logic.
Keifer Sutherland plays Dunst's brother-in-law, who is impatient with her stalling. He does what he does best, which is heavy breathing to connote consternation. None of the characters are likeable, except the little son of the sister. The horses are beautiful, as is the estate they reside in. But his typical jumpy camera and the lack of music until the very end create an eerie viewing experience. I saw it at a library and several patrons walked out half way through. I stayed, knowing there was a possibility I'd get a ticket for going over two hours.
Charlotte Rampling plays the mother. I thought she was dead. Well, spoiler alert, the world does end, but on the up side, I didn't get a ticket. Maybe that French actress was Jane Birkin's daughter. If you don't recognize that name it just means you're young and not French.

No comments:

Post a Comment