Friday, August 26, 2016

No Credit Cards Accepted

I had a terrific lunch with a woman friend at a place she recommended, a 75 year old establishment with old time decor and bins of candy and a whole list of ice cream flavors.
We had an excellent conversation covering many topics. I pride myself on being a good listener. We are well versed in local and national politics. She was even a Mets fan, so we could talk baseball. A fine lunch.
The bill came, I took out my credit card and asked the waitress if I give it to her or bring it up front. She replied up front, and, oh, by the way, we don't take credit or debit cards.
Now it's one thing to go with charming old time decor and offer free ice cream with every meal, but this is 2016. People pay with their phone apps for God sake.  I had two bucks on me.
There was no sign in the window indicating no credit cards. My partner knew that and didn't give me a heads up. I would have gone to an ATM machine.
After she paid I promised next time we meet it's on me. She was very gracious--being 83 does that. But these  people have to wake up and get with the times. Suppose it had been a whole family?

No comments:

Post a Comment