Thursday, June 14, 2012

Boat Against the Current

Are writers all basically imitators? Are there really only six plots? Free thinkers with bold ideas are an endangered species. Taking the off roads, avoiding the mainstream, resisting formula and refusing to repeat oneself, those are my mantras. Can someone have more than one mantra?
We renegades and rebels grab you by the shirt and rip you away from the safety of the accepted. We bludgeon you out of your comfort zone. Yes, we have bills to pay, but what is food and shelter when originality is sacrificed?
Can one person rise up and take on the center, all those frightened moderates and create true art? Imagine if our Founding Fathers had played it safe. There would be no Delaware.
I am determined to be at the forefront of this antediluvian movement and God help anyone who tries to put me in a box of preconceived assumptions.
Right now I have before me tuna fish on toast. I am leaving out the mayonnaise. Respect my choice and my adventurous spirit. We writers do things like this, things no politician would dream of.
Well, maybe just a dab of mayo. Toast can be pretty dry.

No comments:

Post a Comment