Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Take Your Business Elsewhere

I knew the kid was trouble as soon as he walked in. Couldn't have been more than twelve. One of those annoying high forehead kids.
He smacked three $20 bills on the counter, looked me in the eye and said, "I want you to take out my teacher."
"I don't date teachers," I replied.
"Don't play with me. Word on the street is you're the man to see."
"I sell games and puppets and matchbox cars. You have me confused with someone else."
He ignored me. "My teacher, Miss Gimble, hates me. I'm constantly getting punished. I want her gone."
"Look kid, why not have your parents contact her..."
"I don't want them involved. They'd side with that witch. I hear you made the eighth grade guy, De Salvo, vanish."
"I had nothing to do with that. Messy stuff. Too many damn amateurs in over their head."
"$60 is all I have from my paper route." The kid lit a cigarette.
"No smoking in here."
He smirked, slowly circled the store. "I know guys with matches."
He whirled and glared at me. "How fast you think this place would go up, Cisco?"
My name wasn't Cisco.
"I told you. I run a toy store. That's all."
He smacked another twenty on the counter. "$80. My final offer. I'm a kid in need. Where's your compassion?"
I swallowed and shook my head. "Take your business elsewhere."
He smiled and took his money. At the door, he gave me his profile and said, "When I asked to see the graphic comics and you stood right behind me, maybe you were just being friendly. I'll let the cops decide."
"I never..." I knew it was his word against mine. I hated doing business this way.
"Come in. Let's talk."
He shrugged. "My original offer was $60. I think that's fair."
Sonofabitch, I whispered.

No comments:

Post a Comment