Monday, June 11, 2012

This Brownie

This brownie is in a paper bag next to me and that is where it will stay. It's fairly large and smells good. I sniffed it right through the wax paper. Mind your own business.
This cafe has lots of candles, perhaps too many.  Low lights, hummable music, interesting tea combinations. High quality brownies. B&N stores are closing because of the decline in their brownies. Blondies are okay, but can't support an entire book chain.
So here I sit, trying to come up with a suitable topic to expound on. I am a writer and writers expound. A vibrant essay seems just out of reach. I need to focus. Except I keep glancing at the bag holding my brownie, which I'm saving. Still, if one is having tea, doesn't it make sense to consume something with it?
I mean, when I get home I'm going to eat it anyway. Why wait? I could stroke out before I get to my front door. This is all about discipline. I limit my fridge openings to nine a day. If I hit nine before 3pm, that's it until next morning. I'll just have to watch Criminal Minds without chewing on something to ease my nerves.
I'm taking a quick peek at this brownie. Okay, I'm done. Now I must choose a topic to discuss.
You know, maybe a blast of sugar will get my brain working. I'm sure brownies have nutrients. Why should I deprive myself of good health.
If you wait too long they lose their springiness. Their moistness. Logically, as important as discipline is for a writer, what would happen if I ate it right now? The world would be short one stinking brownie. Whether it's now or tomorrow, the result is the same. Is God watching? God is probably gobbling down a scone.
One bite, just one.

No comments:

Post a Comment