Friday, February 17, 2012

Anticipation

Funny how as you get older the things you joyfully anticipate shrink in gravitas. Young people anticipate a possible hook up that might lead to a meaningful relationship. Or not. A night of pub crawling with friends resulting in crazy stories that will be retold for years afterward. Or a job offer, a promotion, an overseas vacation; in short, big stuff, life changing events.
With me, I look forward to small pleasantries. "Person of Interest", Thursday nights, 9pm. Free coffee and cake at a seniors event every Friday morning at a library. More free refreshments at a book discussion group. Hitting the high notes in the song "People" while in the shower. Waking up and seeing no discolored toe nails. Switching from beef jerky to turkey jerky and looking forward to a new, exotic taste.
No one screaming outside my window. Locating that itch with my back scratch er. Spelling all the words right in an essay like this. Getting a $10 coupon from AC Moore. Making a witty remark on Facebook. Not boring anyone all day. Having a brisk discussion with someone older than me and noting I still have years of intelligent discourse ahead. Just anticipating that sometime during the day, there will be a low key high point that only I will appreciate. It's time for my power walk at a local park. I'm expecting to do 45 solid minutes and if someone smiles at me, that just may be today's high point, and that, friends, is enough at this point of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment