Monday, February 6, 2012

Playing Myself

I played myself on stage and I was borderline brilliant. It was my script and I studied it for hours, looking for the key to grasping the essence of myself. Seeing myself as one character interacting with others was a novel experience. Usually I interact with myself in front of a mirror. In socks and underwear.
I have no training as an actor. Stubbornly refusing to ask for advice, my pride at stake, I worked in solitude on my breathing, projection and timing. I sat up straight in my seat and made eye contact. I did not trample other people's lines. Did not get confused or lose my composure. Did not get an erection.
It was a receptive audience, full of friends, ready to laugh. And they did. Right from the first line. The skit built up with funny conflict until it reached its apex--one character pretending to break down in tears. There was no profanity, except for a 'bastard' reference. None of us removed any articles of clothing; a complete success.
Afterward, at a restaurant, I received congratulations from even those who'd ignored me up until then. Several women came up and conveyed their awe at all the complexity of that Joe onstage. I humbly admitted I wasn't all that complex, but I could see they weren't convinced. Frankly, my charisma quotient skyrocketed after that performance. It wouldn't surprise me if members of my theater group began referring to me as Mr. Excitement.

No comments:

Post a Comment