Saturday, February 4, 2012

The Fig Newton Trap

The Super Bowl is tomorrow and I'm going to watch it alone like I always do. I could meet people from my running club at a bar and surround myself with noise and comrades. But I haven't been going to runs lately and don't really know those people that well. It's no big deal, but it can be if you let it.
It's like being alone on Valentine's Day. That's another blog. Here's the thing--in high stress situations where depression is likely, it is very tempting to turn to Fig Newtons. I keep a pack in the back of my cabinet because I know how dangerous they can be. I swore to myself I'd never resort to them unless it was an extreme situation where I was in danger of feeling like I was worthless. Like Super Bowl Sunday. Even guys whose women hate football at least have someone to bring them snacks and beer. I have to organize my own refreshments. I can hear parties all around me. People with lives full of good friends and possibilities. See, thinking like that will drive you right to the FN bars. I use the plural because you're going to need more than one to lift your spirits. It can easily escalate into a dependence. Believe me, I know. I come from the streets and am quite familiar with illicit substances. I had to be weened off Caramel Corn rice cakes and it wasn't pretty.
Luckily I have the 800-Fig Newton number right by my recliner. They are professionals and know how to talk me down. Go Giants!

No comments:

Post a Comment