Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Underestimate

Every once in a while I underestimate someone. Something about them convinces me they are in over their head. That's essentially what I tell them. These words of wisdom are not terribly appreciated. Suppose someone told me the same thing. Joe, stay away from blogging, you can't handle the pressure. I'd be furious. My ears get red when I'm mad and then I get angrier because I look silly with red ears. I'd do anything to prove them wrong.
I questioned whether it was wise for an actress acquaintance to pull up stakes and head to California. How many Asians do you see on TV and in the movies? Okay, Grace Park on Hawaii 5-0 is proof of God's existence. I love Sandra Oh's work on Gray's Anatomy as well as Lucy Liu on the old Allie McBeal. But, overall, if they're cast at all, it's usually small sidekick roles, quirky characters.
My actress friend hadn't done that much outside of roles in indies and theater parts for tiny groups in small venues. Wouldn't she be buried beneath silicone stuffed Caucasians? Well, that remains to be seen. She seems just fine, auditioning and taking classes, getting a couple of lines in a popular sitcom. I'm told by some there are 28 shows filmed in NY, as well as all the theater work. But there are dozens more shot in Cal. and most say if you're serious about acting, that's where you need to be.
She's 26, but could pass for 20. No one can use her eyes the way she can. I guess I miss seeing her on stage. But you can't keep what isn't yours. One big break and she'll belong to everyone. Damn. I should have gotten her autograph before she left.

No comments:

Post a Comment