Friday, February 10, 2012

Forced Hugging

A woman hugged me last night. She is married, fairly attractive, not someone I see a lot. When we meet at a party she always initiates the hug. It is in her control; how long, how intense, whether there is eye contact, whether I can smell her hair, what, if anything, is said afterward. Does it feel good? Oh yes. She has meat on her bones, some real huggable flesh.
Here's the thing--she hugs everyone. I mean everyone, even people who obviously don't want to be grasped by a virtual stranger. Her husband doesn't seem to mind. She's Filipino, so maybe it's a cultural thing. The fact is, we really don't have much to say to each other. She's into spirituality; I'm into everything but. I believe people with lots of money who can help other people have more spirituality than those who are poor and look beatific while expounding on inner peace.
The more I think about it, the more I realize I'm at risk of catching other people's germs by allowing this woman to hug me. Who knows what kind of hugging targets she's captured? Homeless people? Not that I'm suggesting the homeless have more germs than others. In fact, children are covered in bacteria. Think about that the next time you hug a precious kid. You could be opening yourself up to all sorts of disease.
Admittedly, I'll continue to let anyone hug me who wants to. Especially really tall women.

No comments:

Post a Comment