Friday, February 17, 2012

Electric

I bought an electric razor for the first time in many years. I have to say there is nothing more masculine than shaving oneself with a high powered Remington. I don't feel ready for a Norelco right now, but that will come. For the longest time I've been using a straight razor, a Bic no less. Frankly, I felt emasculated. First you have to apply just the right amount of cream, evenly distributed. Too much and you look like a foam derelict, too little and you look like a cheapskate.
Plus, shaving this way means you have to be very careful, almost dainty in your strokes. Shaving cuts ruin your day before it begins. And those tiny areas right under your nose are virtually inaccessible no matter how hard you try. After a few days of missing those spots you resemble Hitler.
With an electric razor a man can attack his face, using bold, fearless motion, ripping into those stubborn spots, listening to that masculine whirring of blades. I seriously doubt Lee Marvin ever used a girly straight razor, except in Cat Ballou, when he won his Oscar. I can't see Josh Groban employing a Remington, at least not with the reckless abandon I use. I even use it on and in my ears. My dirty little secret. The only downside is when you open the top to clean it and all you see is gray ash where there used to be dark ash, a reminder that even the most testosterone fueled man will grow old.

No comments:

Post a Comment