Saturday, February 11, 2012

Lost in Fairlawn

I thought I knew Fairlawn. Just another Bergen County town. I'm stubborn about getting a GPS; my maps should be sufficient.
And then...one of my short plays was being performed at a rec center in this town. I was given the address on a flyer and, busy as I am, waited until the day of the show to drive out there. I left in the afternoon, giving myself plenty of time to find the place. When I got to town center, I parked and took out my map. For the next 15 minutes I strained my eyes trying to find 20th Street. The Post Office was closed, I had no idea where the police station was, so I did what all guys do. I drove off figuring I'd find it anyway.
I went down Morlot Street and saw the street numbers rising. I hit 17th Street and figured I was home free. The next thing I noticed was 22nd Street.Where were the intervening blocks? I continued driving around as the sky darkened. My night vision is not as good as when I was younger. Is it possible there was another Fairlawn in another dimension?
Eventually I gave up and went to a jazz jam in Leonia, where all the streets listed on the map are actually there. I've since been told there is a 20th Street. I'm taking this as a challenge. I will leave early Sunday morning, take plenty of provisions, make certain my will is in order, and set out to Fairlawn again, this town of illusion. Perfect for my plays. If I find this damn place I want free coffee and cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment