Wednesday, February 22, 2012

My Accountant

My accountant is in his forties, but still has a boyish brush cut. He also has chipmunk cheeks and wears glasses. He is fast and accurate and finds deductions everywhere. He is worth whatever I pay him.
My accountant is also a money manager. I am tempted to give him money to invest, but I'm very conservative. Scared actually. He claims he gets between 4 and 7% for his clients, which is a lot better than my money market is getting. I ask about rising oil prices and he shrugs it off as cyclical. I mention the Dow almost at 13000 and he disdainfully informs me the Dow is only 30 companies. I mention the problems in Greece and he says let the whole thing blow up, let it fall apart, it's not working. Stop the bailouts and try something new. Actually I thought that, not him. What if Israel attacks Iran? He assures me that won't happen.
I am up in the air with this. I have to do something. Three years without any real interest earnings with no end in sight. I just checked--the Dow is over 13000. Unemployment is down. Production is up. Housing? He says that's always the last to recover. He seems so confident. Maybe if I give him money, he'll let me come over periodically and reassure me I'm not going to lose my shirt. A hug is not out of the question, although he'd probably charge me.

No comments:

Post a Comment