Monday, July 16, 2012

Backing Out

I hurt my back again today. It was just about a year ago I messed it up and was limping around for three weeks. Don't ask how I hurt it. Too embarrassing. Of course I made it worse by searching for something in the garage, a magazine I had a story published in years ago. Did not find it. Naturally I came across a pile of other crap, which I just had to bring inside to sort through and that made things worse.
Now I'm on painkiller and muscle relaxant, but not sleepy. Old people with back issues look pathetic. Getting in and out of my car is humiliating. Amazing. One moment you're bouncing around, practically sprinting from place to place. The next second you're doubled over grimacing.
What does my body want from me? I go to the gym, eat right, stretch out, massage myself because I'm too cheap to pay for it. I haven't had pizza in ages. I never go sky diving or bungee jumping or pogo stick hopping. I hate using a heating pad in a heat wave. AC will cool the room until I have to wrap myself in a blanket. Assisted living looms.

No comments:

Post a Comment