Thursday, July 26, 2012

Olympic Pressure

Every four years I drive myself crazy watching the Olympics. I mean, it's our duty, right? Eight different channels, all hours of the day and night. Four years ago I killed myself trying to absorb everything. Sadly, I did not see one minute of field hockey.
Watching NBC promos, you'd think every single athlete there is a young, hot white girl. Seriously. Outside of one black female hoopster, no one of color is shown. Track and field used to be the center of the games. You'd never know it. There's more hype about beach volleyball. Swimming and diving, gymnastics, soccer, and when it was included, softball, all garnered more publicity than t&f. Could it be perhaps because that sport is dominated by African Americans and marketing honchos don't think they attract viewers in large enough numbers?
There's a 17 year old American female swimmer who is going for seven gold medals. She claims she wants to attend college afterwards and will forgo millions in sponsorship if she wins. And she says it with a little smile. Right. Sponsorship has allowed athletes to compete in two or three games now, essentially reinforcing their brand. Hope Solo already has her memoir out. She is the soccer goalie who looks like Catherine Zeta Jones. Lo Lo Jones is the hurdler who fell last time and who looks like Ashley Greene. Sue Bird is the hot hoop star. Ailleen Morgan the hot soccer star.
Our best female weightlifter's brother is a Jets lineman. Now I have to check what channel the archery is on. I hope Canada wins a gold. I really like their national anthem.

No comments:

Post a Comment