Sunday, July 15, 2012

Secret Room

I keep all my ideas in my secret room above the garage. I used to keep my anxieties there, but a year ago a friend contacted me, requesting I loan her some anxiety. Her life was going too smoothly and it unnerved her. I shrugged and sent the whole collection to her by Fed Ex. Some of them bordered on the irrational, like my intense fear of costume designers.
My friend felt she should reciprocate by sending her stash of silly ideas to me. I had enough of my own, but didn't want to ruffle her feathers. So I included them with my serious and silly ideas.
Within a month it was obvious her silly ideas were infecting my serious ones. Soon, none of my concepts evoked more than chuckles from my inner circle. Soon after that, I had no inner circle. I was being shunned as a silly guy with no depth. I spent two weeks in my secret room trying to disengage worthless ideas from earth shaking ones. I failed badly. It seems my serious ideas were tired of being serious and grasped onto silliness once they were exposed to it. My own silly ideas became jealous of her silly ideas and isolated themselves. Total intellectual chaos.
Sort of like what happened to Al Gore.

No comments:

Post a Comment