Friday, July 27, 2012

Recorder

I used to play the recorder, a wooden instrument somewhere between a clarinet and a flute. I did this to prove to myself I was musical. I had three different sizes and each had a different sound.
I spent many hours playing this thing alone in my room. This is not pathetic, it is someone exploring his creativity. I still have notebooks somewhere with pages of instrumentals because I taught myself to read music.
Sometimes I would put on a record of a famous bluesman like Albert King and play along. Admittedly, the recorder doesn't possess the grittiness and gravitas of a blues guitar, but I poured my soul into each performance. I even recorded some and I'm sure I could find them and perhaps release them as a tape. Or I could return to those days, relearn the instrument and put videos on You Tube.
Good recorder music is scarce and that is a mystery. I know this instrument is associated with third graders, but adults can, with time and effort, elevate this woodwind to higher levels of acceptance. I believe the opening of Stairway to Heaven was all recorder.

No comments:

Post a Comment