Thursday, July 12, 2012

Doris Day

Have I been in  a fog all these years? Why is it that just now I am discovering Doris Day?
How did this happen? Free old movies at libraries I frequent, that's how. Some people frequent clubs or restaurants; I select libraries.
I first noticed how provocative she was in her first film, Romance on the High Seas, or something like that. Jack Carson was lusting after her and eventually got his quarry. Doris was way too good for him. She had a charming overbite, but what a body. How come no one ever talks about Doris Day's assets the way they reference Monroe, Mansfield, Taylor, Loren and Brigette Bardoe?
Then I saw her being menaced by Rex Harrison in another flick. Finally I watched Love Me or Leave Me, where Cagney abused her. I wanted to punch him in the mouth. Obviously she has never hit a bad note in her life, every song nailed perfectly. But Doris Day is a very underrated actress and an absolute babe. I understand her personal life was filled with heartbreak and she turned to caring for animals. But I need to reexamine my priorities. Too much time fantasizing about Annette and Sandra Dee, not enough appreciation of Doris, the girl next door with a Victoria's Secret body.

No comments:

Post a Comment